Lu Lu's Ice Cream
MIMOSA ICE CREAM
Do you know what makes Vermont summers absolute paradise? A local orange mimosa ice cream by the pool or on the deck! Special thanks to Laura Mack, owner of Lulu’s Artisan Ice Cream, for sharing her super easy and refreshing recipe. Surprise your family by whipping this tasty treat together at home, and don’t forget to explore all of Lulu’s specialty flavors by visiting their shop. Check back to enjoy more Monument Fresh Vermont recipes.
- 3 oranges
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 cup Monument Farms Dairy 2% milk
- 1 ½ cups Monument Farms Dairy heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup champagne
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Zest the oranges directly into a food processor or blender.
- Add the sugar and blend until the orange zest is very fine and the sugar is fragrant.
- In a large saucepan warm the milk, orange-scented sugar, heavy cream, and salt stirring occasionally. When the mixture just begins to bubble around the edges, remove from heat. Do not let the mixture come to a boil.
- Let the mixture steep (covered) for an hour.
- Strain out the orange zest using a fine-mesh strainer and discard. Return the warm mixture to the saucepan over medium heat.
- Separate egg yolks and place them into a heatproof bowl. Whisk the egg yolks slightly, just to break them up.
- Slowly and carefully use a ladle to scoop out about ¼ to ½ cup of the hot cream mixture, and while whisking constantly, add the cream to the bowl of egg yolks.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly stir the cream in the saucepan as you add the egg-and-cream mixture from the bowl into the pan.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened and coats the back of a spatula or metal spoon.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a clear (preferably plastic) container.
- Set the container in an ice-water bath, and use your rubber spatula to stir the base until cool.
- When cool remove from the ice bath, cover with plastic wrap (or top), label and refrigerate for at least three hours (preferably overnight).
- Once thoroughly chilled add champagne, stirring well to combine. Freeze according to the ice cream machine’s directions. Store in the freezer in a plastic container.